Pepperdine Online Law Tuition, Billing and Financial Aid FAQs

Tuition and Billing

How much does the Law@Pepperdine program cost?
Tuition is based on the number of credits for which you register. Current tuition rates can be found on the Law@Pepperdine tuition and financial aid page.

Are there additional fees assessed on top of tuition?
There are two types of fees that are commonly assessed in addition to tuition. Residency/Study Tour fees are applied when students enroll in these courses. Additionally, all students will accrue daily late fees (.027%) on past due balances in their student accounts.

How much is the enrollment deposit, and when is it due? 
There is a $500 non-refundable enrollment deposit due once admitted.

Can I use financial aid to cover the deposit?
No, federal student aid cannot be used to pay the deposit.

Will I be able to view my financial aid package before submitting the deposit?
Once admitted, and if the FAFSA is completed, students can expect to receive their aid offer notification as early as two months prior to the start of the term. Depending on the date of admittance, the student may or may not have the financial aid offer information available by the time the deposit is due.

When will I receive a tuition bill and when is payment due?
Payment deadlines are listed on the Student Account page.

How do I view my bill?
You will need to contact Student Accounts for information regarding viewing your tuition bill.

What are the accepted forms of payment?
Cash, check, eCheck, and wire transfer are acceptable forms of payment. Pepperdine University does not accept credit cards for payment of tuition and fees. You may contact Student Accounts for information regarding your tuition bill.

How does my employer go about paying the school?
Contact Student Accounts for information regarding Employer Tuition Assistance and Company Reimbursement.

Are payment plan options available for online students?
Students may visit Student Accounts for information on payment options and due dates.

What are the consequences if my tuition bill is not paid when classes begin?
It is the student’s responsibility to have aid set up prior to the payment due date. If aid has not been processed due to student’s delay, then the student will be charged late fees, and be responsible for paying them.

If I’m eligible to receive a refund, what is the process?
Refund processing by the Student Accounts Office begins the business day after the Add/Drop period of each session. Once it is processed, it may take up to 10 business days to receive your refund, depending on the method chosen to receive the funds. Should you have additional questions regarding your refund, please contact the Student Accounts Office.

What is the Title IV Authorization?
If the student completes the Title IV Authorization, found on Wavenet, Pepperdine can apply your federal aid to all your charges, such as medical insurance, parking fines, and other miscellaneous charges.

Who can I contact at Pepperdine for billing and payment questions?
You may contact Student Accounts for information regarding billing and payment issues.

What is the Pepperdine student portal?
The Pepperdine student portal is WaveNet. Your WaveNet account includes access to academic records, billing, financial aid, direct deposit set up, and more. You will need your Pepperdine ID and password to log into WaveNet.

Return to top

Financial Aid at Pepperdine

Does Law@Pepperdine offer internal scholarships to online students?
There are a limited number of partial scholarships available for Law@Pepperdine students. Contact your Admissions Counselor for further information.

Are there Pepperdine specific supplemental financial aid forms I need to complete?
Pepperdine does not require any school specific supplemental forms. If you are a new student, and are planning to apply for federal student aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Entrance Counseling and the Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the Federal Student Aid website.

What federal student aid is available to graduate students?
The types of federal student aid graduate students are eligible to apply for include the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan. Learn more about the types of federal student aid. At the graduate level, federal aid is not need- or income-based.

Why are graduate students not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant or the Federal Subsidized Loan?
The Department of Education offers Federal Pell Grants and Direct Subsidized Loans to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need and have not yet completed their bachelor’s degrees. The Department of Education does not evaluate need or income for loans at the graduate or professional level. Therefore, graduate students are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant nor the Direct Subsidized Loan.

Are there academic standards I must meet to continue to receive federal student aid?
Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to continue receiving financial aid.

What is the minimum number of units required to receive federal student aid?
Students must be registered for a minimum of 4 units in each 16 week semester in order to be eligible for federal student aid.

How do I determine full-time, part-time, or half-time enrollment in this program?
Although 8 units per semester is usually considered to be a “full-time” graduate course load, for this program, the federal government only requires that students be enrolled in 4 units each semester to maintain their eligibility for federal funding. The student should be aware that taking fewer than 8 units each semester will result in an extended time to complete the degree.

What are private loans?
Private education loans, also known as alternative loans, are offered by private lenders to help students bridge the gap between the cost of education and the amount the government will allow them to borrow in federal loans. Lenders offer private educational loans with different rates, fees, repayment terms, and approval requirements than federal loan programs.

Are private loans offered at Pepperdine?
Private/alternative loans are accepted. Please visit Pepperdine’s site to view a list of private lenders that students can potentially use to assist them with their tuition.

When will I receive my financial aid offer?
Financial aid offers are typically prepared once students are enrolled for the semester, if a FAFSA is on file for the year.

What makes my financial aid file complete?
Your file is considered complete once the Office of Financial Assistance receives confirmation that the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has been electronically transmitted to us, as well as any other required documents.

How do I know if I am missing documents?
Admitted students may log on to WaveNet, view the self-service menu, and review the financial aid “To Do List”. Missing information items will be listed here along with access links to the documents needed to complete your file.

How is financial aid offered and disbursed to me?
Once your file is complete and a financial aid offer determination has been made, you will receive an email advising you to view your offer in WaveNet. You must “Accept” your financial aid and complete the required To-Do List items in order for loans to be disbursed to your student account. Financial aid is disbursed directly to your student account at the beginning of each semester.

How do I accept my financial aid offer?
Once admitted, your financial aid notification will be sent via email with instructions on how to view and accept/decline/adjust your offer through the WaveNet student portal.

Am I required to accept the full amount that I am offered for my financial aid package?
No, you do not have to accept the full amount offered. Students are encouraged to borrow only what is needed. You can choose to accept all, part, or none of your financial aid.

Does my Direct Loan eligibility cover the entire cost of the program?
Assuming you are eligible for both the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, the aid will cover the current academic year in which you are enrolled.

How soon will loans disburse to my student account?
Federal student loans do not disburse earlier than 10 days prior to the start of classes.

Can I use loans to cover additional expenses such as living expenses, books, supplies, etc.?
The total cost of attendance (COA) for each semester includes tuition, fees and living expenses. If there is eligibility for additional loan funds based on the COA, you are able to use those resources to cover expenses such as books, supplies, and other miscellaneous expenses.

Is there a residency required for this program? If so, will I be able to use the loan funds to cover these expenses?
Yes, there are 2 residencies required for each of the Law@Pepperdine programs. When a student is enrolled in a residency during the semester, he or she will be offered additional loan funding to cover expenses such as travel, lodging and fees which are associated with the residency.

Who can I contact at Pepperdine for financial aid questions?
If you have any questions about tuition and financial aid contact the Office of Financial Assistance by email, or call 310-506-4633.

Return to top

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

What is the FAFSA?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application the Department of Education uses to determine if you are eligible to receive federal student aid.

Where can I find the FAFSA?
The FAFSA is available online at The FAFSA is a free application; you will not be asked to pay.

What is the Pepperdine FAFSA school code?
The Pepperdine FAFSA school code is 001264.

Do I need to include my social security number (SSN) in my application for admission to be eligible for aid?
Yes, you will need to include your SSN in your application for admissions, in order for Pepperdine to retrieve your FAFSA from the federal database. Please contact the Law@Pepperdine Financial Assistance Office via phone at 310-506-463 to verbally provide your SSN.

Do I need my parents’ tax information to complete the FAFSA?
If you are applying for graduate school, you are considered an independent student, and do not need to include your parents’ information to complete the FAFSA.

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?
The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measurement of your ability to contribute toward your educational costs. As a graduate/professional student your EFC is not a factor in your eligibility for federal student loans.

When should I complete the FAFSA?
The FAFSA is available every October 1st for the upcoming academic year. New students planning to use federal student aid should complete a FAFSA while applying for admission. Continuing students will need to submit a FAFSA each year they plan to receive federal student aid.

Please reference the chart below to determine which FAFSA to complete based on your desired start date:

StartTermFAFSA Year
January 2024
Spring 2024
May 2024
Summer 2024
August 2024
Fall 2024
January 2025
Spring 2025
May 2025
Summer 2025

Do I need to complete the FAFSA each year?
Yes. Because eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one aid year to the next, you will need to complete the FAFSA for each aid year during which you plan to be a student.

What constitutes an academic year for federal student aid?
An academic year is the year for which financial aid is used to fund your education. Generally, for the Law@Pepperdine program, this is the 12-month period that begins on August 1 of one year and ends on July 31 of the following year.

Return to top

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

What is the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is a federal loan offered to students to help with the cost of education. The Federal Unsubsidized Loan is not based on income or financial need.

What criteria is used to determine eligibility for federal student aid?
The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is not based on income. In order to apply for federal student aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, or eligible noncitizen
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you are male (must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • Be enrolled, or accepted for enrollment, in an eligible degree program
  • Be enrolled in at least 4 units per semester in an eligible program
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • Not currently be in default on previous federal student loans
  • Not have exceeded the maximum aggregate loan limit

Learn more about federal student aid eligibility criteria on the Federal Student Aid website.

How do I find out if I am near my aggregate loan limit or have defaulted on a federal student loan?
Log in to the Federal Student Aid Website to view your federal student loan borrowing history and loan servicer details. Please note that private education loans are not listed on this site. Students in default are not eligible for additional federal loans. Contact your lender for default resolution options.

What is the aggregate loan limit?
The aggregate loan limit is the total amount that you may borrow in federal student loans for undergraduate and graduate study. In addition to borrowing limitations based on the cost of attendance for the program, students are also limited in terms of lifetime borrowing. The maximum aggregate loan limit for federal loans is $138,500. This amount does not include PLUS loans, nor private loans.

If the total loan amount you receive over the course of your education reaches the aggregate loan limit, you are not eligible to receive additional loans. However, if you repay some of your loans to bring your outstanding loan debt below the aggregate loan limit, you could then borrow again, up to the amount of your remaining eligibility under the aggregate loan limit. You can learn more about graduate annual loan limits on the Federal Student Aid website.

What is the difference between a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Direct Subsidized Loan?
Direct Subsidized Loans are available to undergraduate students with financial need. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on subsidized loans while students are enrolled in their undergraduate program. The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is available to undergraduate and graduate students and does not require demonstration of financial need. The Unsubsidized Loan begins accruing interest as soon as funds are disbursed. Learn more about the difference between unsubsidized and subsidized loans.

How much am I eligible for with the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
Most graduate level students are potentially eligible to receive up to $20,500 per academic year from the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn more about graduate annual loan limits.

How do I apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
To apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the current Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate?
The Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate is determined on an annual basis. Learn more about interest rates on the Federal Student Aid website.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on Unsubsidized loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Return to top

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is a federal loan that graduate or professional degree students can use to help pay education expenses in addition to the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn about Direct PLUS Loans.

Do Direct PLUS Loans affect my aggregate loan limit?
Only Direct Subsidized/Direct Unsubsidized Loans (formerly referred to as Stafford loans) and federal loans made through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program count toward your aggregate loan limit.

What are the eligibility criteria to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
A credit check will be conducted when applying for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. In addition to the federal student aid eligibility criteria, applicants cannot have an adverse credit history.

What are the credit criteria to receive the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
One of the eligibility requirements to receive a Graduate PLUS Loan is that you must not have an adverse credit history. A credit check is performed to determine whether a Graduate PLUS Loan applicant meets this requirement.

How much can I borrow from the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
If approved for the Grad PLUS Loan, you can borrow up to the cost of attendance as determined by Pepperdine.

When can I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
You can apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan within 180 days of the start of your program, or once you are enrolled.

How do I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
In order to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS loan, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once you have completed the FAFSA, apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan by completing the credit application on the Federal Student Aid website. Also complete the Graduate PLUS Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN).

What are the next steps if I’m approved for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
If approved, complete the Graduate PLUS Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the Federal Student Aid website.

What are my options if I’m denied the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
If you are denied the Graduate PLUS loan, you may reapply with an endorser or follow the instructions on the Department of Education’s website to appeal the denial.

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan current interest rate?
The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan interest rate is determined at the beginning of each academic year, and is available on the Federal Student Aid website’s Interest Rates and Fees page.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on Direct Graduate PLUS Loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Return to top

Loan Repayment

Do I have to repay my student loans while I’m in school?
You can defer payment on your federal student loans if you are enrolled at least half-time. You should be aware that although you can defer payments while you are in school, interest will still accrue on your loan(s).

Your Unsubsidized Loan will go into repayment six months after you graduate, fall below half-time status, take a leave of absence or withdraw from the program. Most private loans also have deferred payment options while you are in school; however, you will need to check with your loan servicer.

When do I have to repay my loan?
After you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time enrollment, you will have a six-month grace period before you are required to begin repayment. During this period, you’ll receive repayment information from your loan servicer, and you will be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly. You are not required to pay while in school, however if you choose to, there is no penalty to prepay. Learn more about repayment timelines.

What are the repayment plan options and how do I select one?
The Department of Education (DOE) offers multiple options for repayment. You may visit the DOE website for more information on loan repayment plans.

Is there a repayment calculator or estimator that I can use?
Yes, visit the DOE website for repayment calculators.

Can I consolidate my graduate loans and my undergraduate loans?
A Direct Consolidation Loan allows you to consolidate (combine) multiple federal education loans into one loan including both graduate and undergraduate loans. The result is a single monthly payment instead of multiple payments. Learn more about loan consolidation.

Are there any loan forgiveness options available?
In certain circumstances, all or a portion of a borrower’s federal student loans may be forgiven under the federal government’s loan forgiveness program. Please review the Department of Education website for more information on federal loan forgiveness programs.

Return to top

Military Education Benefits

How do I apply for military education benefits?
To begin the process of applying for eligible military education benefits, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. Questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the VA at 1-(888)-442-4551.

What documents are required to process military education benefits?
Visit to access and manage your VA education benefits. If you are applying for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, complete the Education Benefits Application, which generates a request for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE is mailed to you within 6-8 weeks from submitting the application. A copy of the COE must be provided to the Pepperdine VA contacts located in the Office of the University Registrar.

Do I need to verify enrollment monthly with the VA using their text or email verification tool?
Yes. This is a new requirement that ensures your VA benefits are not being used by someone else.

What is considered full-time?
Undergraduate: ** 12 units
Graduate: 6 units

Will my military benefits cover the entire cost of the program?
Please visit the GI Bill comparison tool to view what your VA benefits will cover at Pepperdine.

Are all Pepperdine degrees approved by the VA for use with the GI Bill?
While most degrees offered by Pepperdine have been approved by the VA, some newer degree offerings may not be approved yet. As such, it is important to talk with the School Certifying Official during the admission process to ensure your degree option is currently approved.

What are the eligibility factors for the Post 9/11 GI Bill?
You are potentially eligible if you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept.10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

How are Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits calculated at Pepperdine?
Veteran Services information can be found on our website.

Do I have enough Post-9/11 GI Bill eligibility to complete my degree at Pepperdine?
Your VA Certificate of Eligibility will indicate benefit level and how many months/days you have to utilize. To ensure your program is fully covered, compare how long it will take you to complete the program with your eligibility window. Your academic advisor and School Certifying Official can help build and verify your education plan.

What is the deadline to apply for VA education benefits?
Students should apply as soon as possible, before tuition payments are due.

What are current rates of benefits including the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)?
The tuition and fee payment rate, and MHA are determined at the beginning of each military academic year on August 1st. The current rate table is located on the Education and Training page of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs site.

Because Pepperdine is a private university, students who receive Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are subject to a maximum tuition and fee reimbursement per military academic year (August 1 through July 31). The amount of the national cap changes each year on August 1, and is available to be used from August 1 to July 31 of the following year. When VA benefits are calculated, the amount of this national cap must be expended before Yellow Ribbon Program benefits can be awarded, if applicable.

What amount am I eligible for under the Military Housing Allowance (MHA)?
The amount of VA-funded GI Bill housing allowance is based on the mode of attendance and the amount of enrolled courses. Full-time students attending in-person classes receive full MHA based on the Malibu campus ZIP code. Full-time students attending online typically receive 50% of the national average. For specific questions, your School Certifying Official can help verify the mode of attendance currently approved by the VA.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?
The Yellow Ribbon Program allows degree-granting colleges and universities in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual national maximum cap per military academic year. Participating institutions choose their contribution amount, the VA matches that amount, and issue payment directly to the school.

Veterans who are utilizing Post-9/11 GI Benefits and who are entitled to 100% of their benefit may be eligible. For additional information on the Yellow Ribbon Program, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Does Law@Pepperdine participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?
Yes, the Law@Pepperdine program participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP). Students who are 100% eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill will receive those benefits, and if their tuition and related charges exceed that amount, the difference will be covered by Pepperdine and the VA jointly under the provisions of the Yellow Ribbon Program. This ensures that eligible students will have their tuition and related fees covered. Pepperdine is proud to share that we do not have a limit on the number of Yellow Ribbon-eligible students we accept. Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program at Pepperdine.

Am I eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?
To be eligible, you must qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill at the 100% benefit level. Verify eligibility level through the VA and by receiving a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.

Does Pepperdine limit the number of students that can utilize the Yellow Ribbon Program?
No. All eligible students can utilize the Yellow Ribbon Program.

How and when does my school tuition get paid by the VA?
Once registered for all classes, the School Certifying Official will verify your enrollment with the VA. The school will typically place your tuition fees in a special billing status until payment is received from the VA. Any interest that is incurred is not applicable. Contact the school’s Student Accounts office with any concerns regarding late payment or registration hold.

Who can I contact at Pepperdine for questions about using Military Education Benefits?
For questions regarding the use of your military education benefits, visit the Pepperdine Veterans Services page.

Return to top

Tax Benefits for Education

How do I qualify for a tuition tax credit?
For details on tax benefits for education, see IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education, which provides detailed information. Pepperdine University and its employees are unable to provide tax advice. We urge you to contact your tax advisor or the IRS at 800-829-1040 or if you have any questions regarding the HOPE or Lifetime Learning Tax Credits.

What is the 1098-T Form?
It is an informational form filed with the Internal Revenue Service to report the amounts billed to you for qualified tuition, related expenses, and other related information. The primary purpose of the IRS Form 1098‐T is to inform you that we have provided this required information to the IRS.

What information is included in the 1098-T Form?
Form 1098-T reports amounts paid for qualified tuition, scholarship and grants processed in 2019 to students enrolled in courses at Pepperdine for which they receive academic credit. The information reported on the 1098-T form helps a student evaluate whether he or she is eligible for an educational tax credit.

How do I obtain my 1098-T Form?
Please contact the Law@Pepperdine Student Accounts office for current instructions on obtaining your 1098-T Form.

Return to top