How to Cope With Constant Stream of Negative News
Make Lifestyle Changes
- Designate times of day or amounts of time to dedicate to reading news.
- Reconsider starting or ending your day by consuming news.
- Unfollow social media accounts that share negative news.
- Uninstall apps on your phone that provide constant news notifications.
- Let people know if you don’t want to talk about certain news stories.
- Consider a digital detox to make space for healing.
- Using emotionally evocative language to induce strong emotions.
- Intentionally leaving out crucial information.
- Misrepresenting or exaggerating information out of context.
- Fear mongering or scapegoating.
- Framing every story as “breaking news.”
- Making use of stereotypes.
- Citing highly partisan, pessimistic, or pseudoscientific sources.